🌎 Toronto ∙ 👩 47 employees (10%) ∙ 🖥 All departments
Ecobee, which makes smart thermostats, laid off 47 employees (10%) in late March. The company recently cancelled a new product line it had been developing. While many startups have put together crowdsourced spreadsheets of laid-off employees, Ecobee went a step further and created a dedicated website. If you’re recruiting in Toronto, you can browse this site to find ex-Ecobee talent.
See our live Layoffs Tracker for a real-time report of all startups that have done layoffs.
Since Thursday, unicorn startups ZipRecruiter, WeWork, Knotel, Getaround, and OneWeb have each laid off hundreds of employees, and over 20 startups in total have cut jobs.
Below are a few of the recent layoffs. Check out our Layoffs Tracker for a comprehensive, real-time report. If you’ve seen a layoff spreadsheet for any of these companies, please let us know!
- ZipRecruiter, the online hiring marketplace, laid off over 400 employees (39%). The company has seen its customers drastically slow down hiring and expects to miss revenue projections.
- 🌎 Santa Monica ∙ 👩💼 400 employees (39%) ∙ 🔗WSJ
- WeWork, the co-working company, laid off 250 employees. This follows a previous round of layoffs in November, but is supposedly unrelated to the coronavirus pandemic.
- 🌎 New York City ∙ 👩💼 250 employees ∙ 🔗Reuters
- Everlane, an e-commerce site for luxury clothing, laid off or furloughed 200 workers, primarily in their retail and backend operations functions.
- 🌎 San Francisco ∙ 👩💼 200 employees ∙ 🔗WWD
- Knotel, which leases office space to companies, laid off 127 employees (30%) and furloughed an additional 68 employees (20%). The layoffs affected multiple departments and locations. Real estate startups like Knotel continue to suffer due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Getaround, the car sharing startup, laid off 100 employees (25%). This follows a previous round of layoffs in January. Getaround is suffering from both the coronavirus pandemic as well as a pullback in funding from its main backer, Softbank.
- 🌎 San Francisco ∙ 👩💼 100 employees (25%) ∙ 🔗BizJournals
- OneWeb, which builds satellites that provide internet access, filed for bankruptcy and announced layoffs. It said it had failed to secure further funding.
- 🌎 London ∙ 👩💼 Hundreds of employees ∙ 🔗BBC
- Zipcar, the rental car company, laid off 20% of staff. The travel industry continues to be disrupted by the coronavirus.
- 🌎 Boston ∙ 👩💼 Hundreds of employees (20%) ∙ 🔗BostonInno
- Restaurant365, which makes restaurant management software, laid off a “big chunk” of its 400 employees. It has seen a 75% decline in YoY sales.
- Textio, which helps companies write better job descriptions, laid off 30 employees (20%).
- 🌎 Seattle ∙ 👩💼 30 employees (20%) ∙ 🔗Geekwire
- B8ta, a retailer for consumer electronics and home goods, laid off over half of its corporate staff and furloughed its retail employees.
- 🌎 San Francisco ∙ 👩💼 50% of corporate employees ∙ 🔗Retail Dive
- Pivot3, which develops hyperconverged infrastructure, laid off a significant portion of its 250 employees.
- DataRobot, which helps companies manage their machine learning models, significantly reduced headcount.